Free File is a partnership program offered by the IRS and the Free File Alliance – a group of industry leading tax companies – designed to help American’s file their taxes for free using online software.
The program is available to all American’s, but your income level will determine which features you can use.
If Your Income Was Less Than $69,000
You are eligible for the programs free online, easy to use software options for federal taxes, in addition to state return options.
The software options include well known names like TaxSlayer, H&R Block and Turbo Tax.
If Your Income Was Over $69,000
The program offers fillable forms that will help you through the tax process. However, the forms only offer basic guidance and don’t offer any state options, so if you’re not familiar with doing your taxes, it might not be the best option for you.
What Do I Need To Get Started?
Personal Information You Need
- A copy of last year’s tax return in order to access your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)
- Valid Social Security numbers for yourself and your spouse, if applicable
- Valid Social Security numbers for your dependents, if applicable
Income and Receipts
- Social Security benefits
- Unemployment Compensation
- All receipts pertaining to your small business, if applicable
- Income receipts from rental, real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporation, trusts
- W-2s, showing your annual wages from all of your employers
- Forms 1099-INT, showing interest paid to you throughout the year
- Form 1099-G, showing any refund, credit or offset of state and local taxes
- Forms 1099-DIV and Forms 1099-R, showing dividends and distributions from retirement and other plans paid to you during the year
- Form 1095A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement.
- Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit
- Verify your identity by using your 2018 AGI. If you created a 2018 personal identification number, that will work too. The personal identification number required that you create a five-digit PIN that could be any five numbers (except all zeros) that you choose which serves as your electronic signature.
- Don’t have your AGI or PIN? If you do not have a copy of your 2018 tax return, you may use the IRS Get Transcript self-help tools to get a tax return transcript showing your AGI. You have two options:
- Online: Select the Tax Return Transcript and use only the “Adjusted Gross Income” line entry. Secure Access: How to Register for Certain Online Self-Help Tools provides you with the information you need to make the request.
- By Mail: Please allow 5 to 10 days for delivery. Use only the “Adjusted Gross Income” line entry.