Have you filed your taxes in the District of Columbia and want to know when you should expect a refund? The information below will help you figure that out.
Where’s My Refund DC?
On average, it can take up to six (6) weeks to get your District of Columbia tax refund. If you’re anxious to know where your DC refund is, we have some information for you.
In this article, we will share with you where and how to get more information on your tax refund, what you can do to check updates, and what may be causing the delays (if there are any.) Also you’ll find information about the District of Columbia tax rates.
Where to Check the Status of Your District of Columbia Tax Refund
To check the status of your District of Columbia Tax Refund, you may visit their website at https://mytax.dc.gov/. Once you’re on the webpage, you will be asked to provide the following details:
- Your Social Security number or SSN
- Enter the tax year
- Enter the refund amount
Once you have entered all the details, simply click on the “Search” button to check the status of your refund.
Please note that they only provide refund status for returns filed within the last six months.
How to Contact the District of Columbia Department of Revenue
You may also check your refund status offline. All you have to do is call the District of Columbia State Department of Revenue to check your refund status.
Their hotline number is (202) 727-4829 and their business hours are between 8:15 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. ET during Mondays through Fridays.
Keep in mind that it’s highly likely that the phone service representatives will have the same details as the website/portal. You may not get any additional info by calling.
Please wait at least eight weeks before checking the status of your refund.
What Can Cause a Delay In Your DC Tax Refund
It’s not out of the ordinary to experience a delay while waiting for you District of Columbia tax refund, there may be some delays. So why may there be a delay?
Actually there are a whole host of reasons that might cause a delay in your District of Columbia tax refunds. The following outlines some of the most common reasons your refund may be delayed.
- Not opting to get your refund via direct deposit
- If your returns were filed by paper and/or your refund check is coming through the mail
- Any errors made on your return or adjustments that were made can delay things a bit
- In some cases, the District of Columbia Department of Revenue may need to verify some of the information on your return. In these situations, you may even need to provide additional information to the DOR. Any time this happens, you can expect it to delay your refund at least a little bit
- Have more complex returns due to multiple sources of income, multiple types of tax forms, etc. and that can cause a delay
- Another common reason for delays is if your tax return is incomplete and there is information missing on the return
With all that said, if you want to get your refund faster, there are a few things you can do before you submit your return. Make sure all the information on the return is accurate and complete. Also file your return online as well as request that the refund go straight to your bank account via direct deposit.
Should there be any delays with your District of Columbia tax refund, just call the hotline number we have provided above, or visit their website at https://mytax.dc.gov/
Tax Rates for District of Columbia
Here is the current tax rate for DC residents. The rates and income levels are the same for both married couples and single filers.
|District of Columbia Taxable Income||Tax Rate|
|$0 – $10,000||4.00%|
|$10,001 – $40,000||6.00%|
|$40,001 – $60,000||6.50%|
|$60,001 – $350,000||8.50%|
|$350,001 – $1,000,000||8.75%|
Looking for information on other states? Visit our where is my state tax refund page.
Next, find out where’s my refund GA?