If you have filed for your Massachusetts state income tax refund and you’re wondering where your refund is, we have some information that can help you.
In this article, you’ll learn how and where to get more information on your tax refund, what you can do to check updates, and what may be causing the delays (if any). Also, you’ll find the income tax rates for Massachusetts.
Where’s My Refund MA?
Here’s what you need to know to find out about your MA state tax refund…
Where to Check the Status of Your Massachusetts Tax Refund
To check the status of your Massachusetts Tax Refund, you may visit their website at https://mtc.dor.state.ma.us/mtc/?Link=REFUND. If you’re new, you will be required to create an account. However, you can use your old login information if you have filed a claim before.
How to Contact the Massachusetts State Department of Revenue
You may also check your refund status offline. All you have to do is visit the Massachusetts State Department of Revenue to check your refund status: https://mtc.dor.state.ma.us/mtc/?Link=REFUND.
Enter the following information:
- The tax year
- Your Social Security number (SSN) or ITIN
- Refund amount
Then click the “Search” button to check your refund status.
Their hotline number is 1-617-887-6367, or their toll-free hotline at 1-800-392-6089. These hotlines are open from Mon. – Fri., 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. You can also email them by using the form here.
Although the phone service representatives will likely have the same details as the website/portal. Please wait at least eight weeks before checking the status of your refund.
What Can Cause a Delay In Your MA Tax Refund
There are plenty of things that can slow down the time it takes for you to get your Massachusetts state tax refund. What are the common things that can cause a delay?
Well, some of the things are out of your control, such as staffing and other issues at the DOR itself. However, there are reasons about your return itself that can cause a delay in your Massachusetts state tax refunds. Let’s take a look at some of the things that can slow down your refund here:
- If your form is incomplete in any way (whether it be information about your income or personal information like a missing Social Security number) and data is missing, expect that to slow things down
- Sometimes the Massachusetts Department of Revenue may have questions about information on your return. In these situations, they may need to verify some of the info reported on the return. You may even need to submit supporting documentation to help them verify the data which will cause a delay in getting your tax refund.
- Any errors in the calculations/math on your return or any adjustments
- Choosing to have your refund check sent by mail instead of direct deposit
- Mailing your returns into the state instead of filing electronically
- Complicated returns that involve multiple sources of income and different types of supporting forms
So the lesson here is there are things you can do before you send in your return to help you get your refund ASAP. Doing everything you can electronically is a big one. Anytime the postal service is involved, there is a decent chance it will slow things down. Also, double (or triple!) check your returns so that they are complete and the information is accurate.
Tax Rates for Massachusetts
|Filer Type||Tax Rate|
|Married Filing Separately||5%|
|Married Filing Jointly||5%|
|Head of Household||5%|
Should there be any delays with your Massachusetts state tax refund, just call the hotline number we have provided above or visit their website at https://www.mass.gov/how-to/check-the-status-of-your-tax-refund.
Looking for information on other states? Visit our where is my state tax refund page.
Next, find out where’s my refund MI?