Want to know what the status of your Michigan State Tax Refund is? Then you’re in the right place!
In this article, you’ll learn where and how to get more information on your tax refund, what you can do to check updates, and what can cause delays in getting your refund (if there are any.).
Plus, you’ll find information about the current Michigan tax rates.
Where’s My Refund MI?
The information below will tell you all you need to know to find the status of your MI state income tax refund:
Where to Check the Status of Your Michigan State Tax Refund
Checking the status of your Michigan State Tax Refund online is easy. All you have to do is go to https://treas-secure.treas.state.mi.us/eservice_enu/start.swe?SWECmd=Login&SWECM=S&SRN=&SWEHo=treas-secure.treas.state.mi.us. Once you’re in the web page, you need to click on the “Check My Refund Status” button.
You will be redirected to a webpage where you will be prompted to enter the following information:
- Your Social Security Number or your SSN
- The tax year
- The filing status
- Your Adjusted Gross Income or AGI, or you may also provide the Total Household Resources or THR.
For those who have filed their tax returns electronically, you need to wait for up to two weeks before you check your refund status online.
On the other hand, if you filed your tax return using paper returns that were mailed, you may be waiting a little longer. It usually takes anywhere between six to eight weeks before your information becomes available online.
How to Contact the Michigan State Department of Revenue
Should you wish, you may also check your refund status offline. All you have to do is call the Michigan State Department of Revenue to check your refund status.
Their hotline number is 1-517-636-4486, and their business hours are between 7:00 A.M. to 5 P.M. during Mondays through Fridays.
Before you call, just keep in mind that it is highly likely that the phone service representatives will have the same details as the website/portal. Please wait at least eight weeks before checking the status of your refund.
What Can Cause a Delay In Your MI Tax Refund
If it takes a little while for your Michigan state tax refund, there may be some delays. So what causes a delay?
Well, there are a number of different reasons that could cause a delay in your Michigan state tax refunds. It may include some of the following, but are not limited to:
- Not choosing direct deposit
- Mailing a paper return or check sent through mail
- There may be some math errors in your return or other adjustments.
- The Michigan Department of Revenue may need to get further verification on the information you have reported on your return. If this is the case, they may request additional information from you, and it may make the process take longer.
- There may also be delays if you have used more than one form type to complete your return.
- Lastly, there may be delays because there is any missing information on your return, or you submitted while it is still incomplete.
To get your refund faster, be sure that all of the details you entered in your filing are correct. And make sure to submit your filing online and choose to get your refund deposited to your account instead. These will make the process faster and more convenient for you.
Should there be any delays with your Michigan state tax refund, just call the hotline number we have provided above, or visit their website at https://www.michigan.gov/taxes/0,4676,7-238-43513_75466%E2%80%94,00.html.
Tax Rates for Michigan
Here’s a quick rundown on the tax rates for Michigan:
- Single Filer – 4.25%
- Head of Household Filer – 4.25%
- Married Filing Separately – 4.25%
- Married Filing Jointly – 4.25%
This rate currently applies to all income levels.
Looking for information on other states? Visit our where is my state tax refund page.
Next, find out where’s my refund MN?