Waiting on your Wisconsin State Tax Refund is and want to know where it is? Then you’re in the right place.
In this article, you’ll learn how and where to get more information on your WI tax refund, what you can do to check updates and, if you’re experiencing a delay, what may be causing it. Also, you’ll find information on Wisconsin income tax rates.
Where’s My Refund WI?
Here’s how to get the status of your income tax refund in Wisconsin…
Where to Check the Status of Your WI Tax Refund
To check the status of your Wisconsin Tax Refund, you may visit their website at https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/Apps/TaxReturnStatus.aspx. Their “Refund 123” system helps you get the most up to date info about your refund. There is also a mobile app available.
Once you’ve clicked the button, you will be redirected to a web page where you need to enter the following details:
- Your Social Security Number or SSN or ITIN.
- The tax year
- The expected refund amount
Once you have entered all the details, simply click on the “Submit” button to check the status of your refund.
How to Contact the Wisconsin State Department of Revenue
You may also check your refund status offline. All you have to do is call the Wisconsin State Department of Revenue to check your refund status.
Their hotline number is 1-608-266-8100 for Madison or 1-414-227-4907 for Milwaukee. For all other areas in Wisconsin, the number is 1-866-947-7363. Business hours are between 7:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M, Eastern Time on Mondays through Fridays.
Although it is highly likely that the phone service representatives will have the same details as the website/portal.
What Can Cause a Delay In Your WI Tax Refund?
There are things you can do, before you send in your return, to help make sure you get your refund payment as quickly as possible. First, you’ll want to review your return and check for any errors or missing information. Also, doing everything you can electronically (ie. sending in your return, getting your refund check) will help a lot too. Especially with recent slow downs at the USPS.
If do experience a delay in getting your Wisconsin state tax refund, there may be a few reasons why. So what causes a delay?
Well, let’s look at the most common reasons you may experience a delay in getting your Wisconsin state tax refunds. It may be due to any of the following (these are things you have some control over, we’re not including staffing shortages at the DOR or things on their end):
- Any errors in math and calculations on your return or the need for any adjustments to be made
- If you leave out any information about your income or even personal income (ie. about a dependent or your Social Security Number) or there is anything on your return that is incomplete
- Requesting to get your refund check sent by mail (direct deposit is typically faster)
- Mailing in your return instead of submitting it electronically
- You have a return that is complex due to multiple sources of income, businesses, real estate investments, etc.
- Sometimes the Wisconsin Department of Revenue might have to get some additional verification about the information reported on your return. If this happens you may even need to send them some additional information which will just draw out the process of getting a refund even longer
If you are not sure why you are experiencing a delay on your Wisconsin state tax refund, you can call the hotline number listed above, or visit their website at https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/Apps/TaxReturnStatus.aspx.
Tax Rates for Wisconsin
If you need more information about the Tax Rates for Wisconsin, check the details below.
|Tax Rates||Single Income||Married Filing Jointly|
|4.00%||$0 – $11,970||$0 – $15,960|
|5.21%||$11,971 – $23,930||$15,961 – $31,910|
|6.27%||$23,931 – $263,479||$31,911 – $351,310|
|7.65%||$263,480+||$351,311 & more|
Looking for information on other states? Visit our where is my state tax refund page.
Next, find out where’s my refund AL?